The Girl Pays Tribute: Buddy Holly




Raining in My Heart
.

The sun is out - the sky is blue

there’s not a cloud to spoil the view
but it’s raining - raining in my heart

.
The weather man says clear today
he doesn’t know you’ve gone away

and it’s raining - raining in my heart

.

Oh, misery - misery what’s gonna become of me

I tell my blues they musn’t show

but soon these tears are bound to flow
cause it’s raining - raining in my heart
.

But it’s raining - raining in my heart

And it’s raining - raining in my heart

.

~Buddy Holly




.

Today is February 3, 2010, marking the fifty-first anniversary of the day the music died. On this date in 1959 a small plane carrying Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper crashed outside of Clear Lake Iowa. No one survived the crash.

.
I was introduced to Buddy Holly's music in high school. There was something to mix of blues and rock and roll that appealed to me. I was born over a generation from his time but then, music is timeless. My Junior year I paid tribute to this man with a forensics speech. Admittedly, it fit the criteria for the category: Write a eulogy for someone who benefitted the entertainment industry. I didn't know that I would learn so much! It's been years since that speech, I can only remember a few details and sadly cannot rewrite it in its entirity, but this day still holds meaning to me.
.

Born Charles Hardin Holley on Labor Day of 1936 in Lubbox, Texas, he would later use his childhood nickname of Buddy to perform. His career lasted only a year and a half before the crash but in tha time he made changes to the music industry. He was an innovator. Creating techniques in the studio that are now common place.
.

Years pass by and the roots of everything seem to fade away. I know I will always look on this date and remember a man who was gone long before my time, but who left a legacy in music that holds to my heart. If you've never listened to a Buddy Holly and the Crickets song, or Ritchie Valen or the Big Bopper, I recommend taking a few moments today and do so. The music world lost three shining stars in one day. Who can imagine what they could do if they had survived?
.

Coincidentally, the year that I gave my speech, our home meet was on February 3rd. I made the finals and my tribute ranked me second place in the category.

.

I was amazed to find this live performance video!

In 1986 Buddy Holly was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. For a much better

0 comments:


Welcome!

Welcome to my little part of the blogosphere. I started this blog for the express purpose of proving that no matter what happens in life, you are not alone. I am sharing my stories from my school days, dating disasters, and personal trials.

Followers